Color Cruise and Island Festival
Friday, October 13 - Sunday, October 15, 2017
Photo courtesy of William Gibbons
Here are highlights from our 2016 event:
The 2016 Color Cruise and Island Festival was held in memory of Marilyn Smith (1933 - 2016).
Each year the annual event celebrates with an unmatched combination of nature's glories and mid-Michigan good times in October. The towering hardwood trees compete to see which can most beautifully reflect its colors on the river.
Our beautiful riverboat
takes admirers up and down the river, providing a relaxing slice of history and an unmatched view of our historic 60 foot sandstone ledges. Rock climbers
come from across the country to conquer the sheer ledges. Try your hand, or just enjoy watching those who dare.
Voyageurs, fur traders, and wood carvers
will inhabit the area all three days. Folk music
played on traditional instruments, voices heard in hearty harmony, and the rhythmic thud of cloggers
mark the weekend.
Community members can also enter a baby photo contest
. Children can cuddle the bunnies
and pet the sheep and llamas
in the petting zoo (small entrance fee applies). Try a craft
, paint a pumpkin
, or even crank an old fashioned cider press
There will be lots ot see: traveling blacksmith, Native American display and crafts, lamp work beads, wooden puzzles, spinning and carding, quilting, portraitures, log cabin building, and railroad safety display.
There will also be a Diamond Dig
sponsored by Grand Ledge Opera House and Revival Collectibles. For only $5, you can get 2 scoops of sand to sift through for treasure!
The stage next to the gazebo will be filled with various entertainment throughout the three day event - Learn more about the music and special programs
We will have a new exhibit this year
! No live bees will be brought on to the island for this demonstration
The Grand Ledge Area District Library
is hosting a Color Cruise Story Time
(preschool to early elementary). Stories with Mrs. T at 10:15 AM and 11:30 AM on Friday, October 14 on the Island Park.
Then, there's the food
, hot dogs, steak and cheese sandwiches, brats, freshly popped black kettle caramel corn, elephant ears, fresh lemonade, root beer floats
, and more soothe appetites sharpened by the cool air.
Friday is special for seniors.
Bus tours are welcome and group packages can include step-on guides, a historic driving tour, and a ride on the authentic riverboat.
- Island Admission - Adults: $4 | Children: $1 | Friday Special for Seniors: $3 | Family of 4 or more: $12 | Under 3: Free
- Riverboat Rides - Adults: $9 | Children: $3 | Friday Special for Seniors: $8
- Covered wagon rides through town sponsored by Senator Rick Jones - Adults: $3 | Children: $1 | Friday Special for Seniors: $2
Also, happening around town:
- Grand Ledge Area Historical Society's Museum is open all three afternoons. There is also a narrated boat cruise and nature walk on the ledges on Saturday and Sunday at 1:30 PM.
- Capitol City Car Club is sponsoring a Vintage Vehicle Display on Saturday in downtown Grand Ledge.
- Eaton County Parks is sponsoring bike rides on Saturday, October 15 at 10:00 AM at Fitzgerald Park and 11:00 AM at Fox Park.
- Grand Ledge Area Historical Society is sponsoring a Oakwood Cemetery Walk on Sunday, October 16 at 3:00 PM.
- 'View from Above' airplane rides will be available for $20 per person (kids under 3 years old are free); check in at the airport. 3 passengers per 15-20 minute ride. First come, first serve.
Friday: Rides from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM | Saturday: Rides from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM | Sunday: Rides from 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
*All rides are subject to rescheduling/ cancelation due to weather.
Grand Ledge cloaks itself in finery so vivid and exciting in October that one would think there was a party. We invite you to come!
Grand Ledge Chamber of Commerce
All In Gold Sponsor: MSU Federal Credit Union
All In Silver Sponsor: Doty Agency / Auto-Owners Insurance
Additional support for this festival was also provided by:
Eaton County Parks | J & K Steamboat | First United Methodist Church
Bader Farm Services | Peters & Murray Funeral Home | Capital City Old Car Club
A&W Restaurant | City of Grand Ledge | Williams' Farm Machinery | Log Jam
Senator Rick Jones | Rich Michaels - Voya Financial
Proceeds from all Chamber events are allocated to promoting the Grand Ledge community and its members.